Saturday, September 09, 2006

Imagine.

I am sure many people have asked you, what do you want to be when you grow up? But have you ever really given it a serious thought before answering them?

Personally, I was not stranger to such questions when I was younger. Answers that I came up with, pilot, lawyer, doctor etc. Basically any prestigious job that you can think of. So naive back then right? Then as I grew older, I come to realise the various restraining factors in your career choices. Slowly, 1 by 1, my choices narrowed down. Until this point in time back in JC whereby I really have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.

Initially I thought my interest lies in Business. But after 1 year of pondering, I decided on Economics. Actually till now I still have my reservation about the course. How? *shake head* Let's hope that I made the correct decision lo. All the smarties/muggers in school are not helping in anyway. Am I in the wrong school?

Do you live under the pressure of your parents? Living up to their expectations, to their comparison with other kids and things like that? Or even, do your parents lay out this "career' outline for you? Ok, to a certain extent, my parents were like that, I mean, whose doesn't? But they gave me no pressure in studying. Always telling me to try my best, believing in me. They do not question my choice of study as well, telling me as long as I don't grow to regret it, they will support me. Given all the things that they have done, I am so afraid to disappoint them. Which is why there will come this 'break point' limit whereby I'll push myself to study lo.

Last question for tonight. What do you want your kids to be when they grow up? Will you say no to their careers, simply because you think that it is unconventional? Like artist? Musician? Theatre actors? Is career all about how much money you can make? How big a house you can stay in? How powerful a car u can drive? What is a career to you? Something which you truly enjoy doing? Or, something which enables you to live the high life?

Personally, I feel that in this modern world, it is very hard to strike a balance. Face it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home