Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Legacy

Where do I start?

The impending death of MSN Messenger? Or better known as Windows Live Messenger nowadays. Oh how that name was all the rage early last decade. It brought back memories simply by recalling that name. It was the days of mIRC, ICQ and the such.

The days of scripts in IRC that allowed for a less boring text in chat, though my pet peeve was that particular script that let you type in alternate upper/lower case letters. Hate. And of course not forgetting the popular channels for sharing files, *ahem, that is another tale for another day.

I'm actually logged into my ICQ account as I'm doing this. Yes I remember my account number, it is 107865683, and its password for that matter. The *uh oh* when there's a message, and that loud horn during the signing in. After speaking to a few friends, they still remember their ICQ numbers. Haha.

But all these came to change when MSN Messenger came. MSN was the dominant force before the emergence of smartphones. I clicked the icon that I've not touch for a long while. I didn't stay for long. I did the necessary merging of my account to Skype. Come 15th March 2013, Windows  Live Messenger will be no more. In this age of  IM apps like Whatsapp, it won't be missed by many for sure.

Took me a long time to actually complete this short post. Because as I was typing, random memories relating to the different phases all came rushing back as I scrolled through my contacts list. Mostly good, some bad, others a little silly that brought a huge grin. These legacy products that saw me through my growing up years, those same years that held memories that are dear.

Like how I didn't forget my icq number after all these years, some memories will always remain intact.

So here's one of those from that era. Fitting, you decide.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home