Wednesday, December 11, 2013

In a flash a decade went by us. 10/12/2013

10th of December 2003, that fateful morning when we first stepped foot through the gates of Hendon; Home of the Commandos, spelt the bold lettering outside the guardhouse, and greeted by the winged bayonet at the parade square. The emblem and the quote beneath it that we'll have etched deeply into of our hearts in time to come. That morning whereby we met each other for the first time. The days of PTP was a prelude to what was to come, if not itself.

Back the, despite being reminded daily that I was enlisted to the best unit in the armed forces, that never quite sunk into me. There was always a sense of self depreciation of not being good enough, and I took each day with trepidation not knowing if today will be the one that I finally call it quits and choose the easy way out. I am glad I didn't at any point in time. Besides, I don't think I'll ever have the chance to. The likes of YH, Quek, TL, CC and all would never allow it, like how we willed TL over the last 4km of 72.

Along the way some of them chose out, others got eliminated and we became 3 Coy 04/06. Tangible memories like all that had happned; Airborne Atec and overseas. Intangible ones like how we relied on TL's alarm clock every morning during trainee days, and how we were almost late one morning when the clock gave up on us despite us already awake on our bed, and simply refusing to face up to reality. Haha. The blisters on our hands that we thought will never heal, the abrasions at the most tender of spots that made even the toughest men cringe.

I was never the fittest nor the fastest, and I was overweight. True to the recruitment officer's words, everything can be trained. And indeed it was. In fact it was only during the moment we were fitted for our No 1 uniforms that it finally dawned upon me that I was part of the best unit in the armed forces, and we didn't screw up badly enough to upset the tradition of appearing at the National Day Parade as the Army's Guard of Honour. Through these all, I was never alone. I completed this journey with my buddies. Strangers whom we met in Hendon but turned out to be very good friends in the end. We never wanted to the one that fail our buddies. For the uninitiated, sad to say, you'll never understand what we went through; the bond and camaraderie that we've developed.

It was through suffer that men bond, quoting YK.

Through the ICT cycles and it all, I am both thankful and glad that they were spent with the awesome guys of 3 Coy. This journey that started a decade ago with so much uncertainties and doubt, had now been concluded with my last reservist call up earlier in July/August. It was a bittersweet moment. Knowing that I no longer have to worry about any IPPTs; yet the beret that we've poured our blood, sweat and tears, literally, into earning will now rest between my mattress and bed till the end.

It was unspoken and somewhat poignant but deep inside everyone of us we knew that although this phase is over, it will never be. For friends you've made in Hendon are friends for life.

Here's to a special decade of friendship, and am definitely looking forward to a few more in future!

 The six of us went missing. Really time to quit bros.. And yes that includes the social smokers!
 
 
 Decadent
 
 
 
 Can you guess.. 
 What is burger without pickles!
 
 Visibly satisfied, after the LONG wait.FYI YH doesn't smoke. Explains why he's at the table
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home