Sunday, May 18, 2008

When it refuses to go away

So I was sick for the entire week, never fully recovered to 100 percent. Nonetheless I managed to squeeze in a hectic and crazy and unforgettable day on Sat.

Come this morning, I woke up to a slight fever and a pair of slight aching calves. Made me feel old, don't know why. Haha. So slept in a bit hoping it will go away. Alas it was not meant to be. Headed down to 820 Thomson Road seeking professional help. Being through Sat, the wait wasn't that unbearable. There was comfy sofa and ESPN and air con, so I can't really file a complaint or something :P. I think my LTB head TA was there also. 2 queue number after me.

Coming home to a whole buncha pills and a solitary bottle of black liquid, I quickly took care of them and jumped right into the comfy nest call bed. Did not wake up till around 2120. Dinner was home cooked pasta with tomato sauce and sausages. Made the entire kitchen very oily though, bleahs :(.

Caught the news at 2200. In the opening 5 min of the segment, I cried. Our ancestor's land was hit by another aftershock of around 6.0. But what struck me was when they managed to rescue this old lady of 95 out from the wreckage after around 140 hours. The amazing thing given the physical injuries, she was otherwise in a healthy stable condition. There after, a dad dug out his young son also, aged 5 I think, alive. The last featured rescue was that of a girl accompanied by her beau. He kept her awake for around a hundred hours (if I recall correctly), never allowing her any chance of falling into an eternal slumber. And when she came free, reflex actions of true love simply took over. There was no hiding his tears and happiness when interviewed.

But that cannot be said for relatives and friends of the some 29000 corpses that was exhumed from the wreckage. With more to be found and the stench of the rotting bodies all round, it is amazing how people relied on a single most important factor, the factor that usually keeps all of us going. Something call HOPE. They will never give up until all have been found. Dead or alive that is.

Which brings me to another question here, remember the international outcry when Cyclone Nargis hit the Union of Myanmar? The outcry has not settle though, but have we ever thought about it in this perspective. Given the mess that China is in now, are we all psychologically ready to face the expose of another big scaled disaster? *a side note, if padi is not planted within the next 90 days in the Irrawaddy delta, the world will face a severe shortage of grains*

Do the developed nations have what it takes to step out of their comfort cocoon built by the developments of the 90's, driven by the endless thirst for cheap petroleum to fuel their huge economies, to actually really offer real help to these people? I think not at least when there are still black gold to be pumped from the ground that is.

Besides, natural disasters are nature way to dealing with an ever exploding human population. My five cents worth. Pardon the cynical approach taken here, must be the infection at work. Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home